1971 visit question

Vous devez vous inscrire pour poser des questions ou répondre dans cette section.

1971 visit question

Messagepar Invité » 22 Sep 2010 18:25

Sorry for the english, the contact at your web suggested I try my question here.

Greetings ;

In 1971 I visited the Expo and have fond memories of sitting in a theatre type space with the opening above rising very high maybe 100+ feet with hanging chimes of some sort. Reminiscent of a large belfry type structure.

As one sat, there was a performance of sound and I'm not sure of its origin but the effect was a very relaxed meditative type experience.

I've looked your site all over and can't seem to locate such an exhibit.

Does this ring a bell with you?

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards, Ben
Invité

Re: 1971 visit question

Messagepar Daniel M » 22 Sep 2010 18:44

Hello Ben and welcome to the forum. Like I said in my email, I do not remember this event. But maybe one of our visitors remember that moment and I sincerely hope that you will get an answer soon.

Be patient and perhaps one day ...

Daniel
Daniel M
Site Admin

Messagepar lemog3d » 23 Sep 2010 03:53

Welcome here Ben,

I don't know if there's a report between both, but in an advertising for Man and His World 1972, they talk about the Formoptic pavilion wich exemplifies the expansion of work of avant-garde artists here and takes the theme one step further in creative art with a film on kinetics. :?:

Laurent
lemog3d

Messagepar Invité » 23 Sep 2010 07:17

Thank you, Daniel & Laurent;
As all who visited the expo I have very special memories of a number of the exhibits.
I will google any responses and see where it leads me.
Thanks to any and all who may respond.
Ben
Invité

Messagepar Normand » 23 Sep 2010 08:24

Invité a écrit:Reminiscent of a large belfry type structure.

I don't know if this will answer your question,but after Expo 67,a section of the former pavilion of Great Britain was transformed into a "beffroi de la musique". Here's a picture of this ssection in 1967.
Normand

Messagepar Invité » 23 Sep 2010 09:12

Thank you Normand,
I think you may have it. I thought this may have been the place, but All refrences that I could find refer to the Britton exhibit as it was originally constucted. I will try and pursue the Brittish angle further.
I really appreciate your help.
Ben
Invité

Messagepar Daniel M » 23 Sep 2010 09:58

I think I found something. In this book " (Man and his world 1969 - Official Guide - published by the city of Montreal)" the following text describe exactly what Normand had mentioned...

Music Belfry: The 200-foot tower is a place for music lovers. In a dim, cathedral-like atmosphere, a vast repertory of recorded music is presented. The program is posted outside the pavilion. The visitor finds not only musical pleasure but also serenity and relaxation.

You can find the text at the end of this page... Britain Pavilion
Daniel M
Site Admin

Messagepar lemog3d » 23 Sep 2010 10:28

Ok... Normand is the best :lol:

Here's a photo of the music belfry :

lemog3d

Messagepar Normand » 23 Sep 2010 13:08

lemog3d a écrit:Ok... Normand is the best

:oops:
Normand

Messagepar Lucene » 14 Juin 2011 09:16

Invité a écrit:In 1971 I visited the Expo and have fond memories of sitting in a theatre type space with the opening above rising very high maybe 100+ feet with hanging chimes of some sort. Reminiscent of a large belfry type structure.

As one sat, there was a performance of sound and I'm not sure of its origin but the effect was a very relaxed meditative type experience.
This could also have been the Venezuela pavillion. One of the cubes had a series of tubes/pipes/rods that hung down from the ceiling, and that rotated at regular intervals.
Lucene

Retour vers Questions / Réponses